Keerai is the Tamil name for spinach. Keerai Molagutal is a flavorsome South Indian Spinach Curry Recipe. This delicious spinach-lentil curry flavored with coconut and spices has a thick soup like texture. This comfort food can be eaten with steamed rice or as a healthy and filling soup.
Watch the video below for detailed recipe and step by step procedure for making Keerai Molagutal.
|Ingredients for Keerai Molagutal||
Ingredients for the Seasoning
Method of Preparation
- Wash the Spinach Leaves well and blanch it in a vessel with 1 tsp salt for 3 minutes.
- Strain it in a sieve and pour a glass of cold water to cool it down.
- Add coconut oil to a small pan. Roast the white Urad dal and whole red chilies for 30 seconds. When it turns reddish, turn off the flame.
- Add it to a blender jar with the coconut and cumin seeds and blend it to a paste.
- Transfer the spinach paste to a pan. Mash the Arhar dal and add it to the pan.
- Add the coconut paste, a pinch of Asafoetida (Hing) and Salt to taste. Stir well and bring it to a boil..
For the Tempering:
- Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a tadka pan and add mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
- When the seeds start spluttering, add white Urad dal (1 tsp) and red chillies-2.
- When the dal turns reddish, switch off the flame.
- Pour the seasoning over the Keerai Molagutal and switch off the flame.
- Keerai Molagutal is ready. Serve hot with rice and Tengai Togayal (coconut-lentil chutney).
You can also find us at:
Google+: LimeTrails By Priya’s Kitchen