Things to do in Healesville – Victoria, Australia
Healesville is a scenic town located in the beautiful Yarra Valley. Healesville is famous for its regional wine & food options. It is just about 65 Kms from Melbourne, making it a great option as a weekend getaway. Here is a list of things to do in Healsville:
- Healesville Sanctuary – A part of Zoos Victoria, Healesville sanctuary is a great place to experience the Australian Wildlife. For visitors, an adult ticket would cost about AUD$ 30.80, Child 0-3years – free, Child 4-15 years AUD$ 13.60 on weekdays. All kids get free entry on weekends and Victorian public & school holidays. Spend your day surrounded by the Red Kangaroo, Platypus, Tasmanian Devil, Koalas and many more animals & birds.
- Picnic at Badger Wier Park (A Yarra Ranges National Park) – A great picnic area for the whole family to spend the day. There are many Barbeque stations and picnic tables for public use around the park. Enjoy a walk on the three different walking tracks in the park – the Lyrebird track, Coranderrk Track, Slip creek track. All tracks take approximately 30 minutes one way. There are clear water streams running along the tracks, beautiful fern trees & forest trees. A great place for photography & bird watching, one can easily spot a King Parrot or a Lyrebird.
- Hedgend Maze – A huge 20 acre property, filled with activities & options for all ages like the Hedge Maze, Native Maze & the Tangled Web to name a few – activities that encourage teamwork & tease the brain just enough for a fun day out. The property also has a cafe offering food options to please kids & adults. Free to use barbeques are available as well. General Park entry fee on a non-public/school holiday is AUD$ 18 for an adult & AUD $ 15 for a child (4-17 years).
- Market & Bakeries – Healesville town center is full of interesting shops & eateries. Healesville is also very famous for its artisan bakeries. I definitely recommend stopping by for a delicious slice of cake , pies, tart or a nice cup of coffee. There are three large bakeries in the main market area which are very popular and serve fresh bakes. Just a stroll in the market area is a lot of fun with many interesting art and craft stores, food stores, cafes and shops great for buying knickknacks.
5. Healesville Wineries – With the perfect climate for growing grapes, we come across beautiful vineyards on both side of the road making the drive to Healesville picturesque & refreshing for the eyes. Driving from Melbourne to Healesville, you will come across about 7-8 wineries. Entrances to these are clearly visible from the road with plenty of road signs. Most wineries open their cellar doors for visitors, offering a tour & wine tasting experience. They also showcase some of best local produce in the meals they serve.